Patricia Nelson joined Marsal Lyon Literary Agency in 2014. She represents adult, young adult, and middle grade fiction, and is actively building her list.
In general, Patricia looks for stories that hook her with a unique plot, fantastic writing and complex characters that jump off the page. On the adult side, she is seeking women’s fiction both upmarket and commercial, historical fiction set in the 20th century, and compelling plot-driven literary fiction. She’s also looking for sexy, smart adult contemporary and historical single title romance. For YA and MG, Patricia is open to a wide range of genres, with particular interest in contemporary/realistic, magical realism, mystery, horror, and fantasy. She is interested in seeing diverse stories and characters, including LGBTQ, in all genres that she represents.
A few of Patricia’s recent sales include Kristi Wientge’s middle grade debut KARMA KHULLAR’S MUSTACHE (Simon & Schuster Children’s); Mary McCoy’s YA mystery CAMP SO AND SO (Carolrhoda Lab/Lerner); Susan Bishop Crispell’s debut magical realist women’s fiction THE SECRET INGREDIENT OF WISHES (Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin’s Press); Loretta Nyhan’s quirky contemporary women’s fiction ALL THE GOOD PARTS (Lake Union Publishing); Kelly J. Ford’s debut literary suspense COTTONMOUTHS (Skyhorse); and KC Bateman’s historical romance TO STEAL A HEART (Loveswept/Random House).
Patricia received her bachelor’s degree from the College of William and Mary in 2008, and also holds a master’s degree in English Literature from the University of Southern California and a master’s degree in Gender Studies from the University of Texas at Austin. Before joining the world of publishing, she spent four years as a university-level instructor of literature and writing.
Patricia loves to travel, and will attend the following conferences in 2016:
- SDSU Writer’s Conference, San Diego, CA (January 22-24, 2016)
- Houston Writing Workshop, Houston, TX (February 6, 2016)
- BinderCon, Los Angeles, CA (March 19-20, 2016)
- Pike’s Peak Writer’s Conference, Colorado Springs, CO (April 15-17, 2016)
- Romance Writers of America Annual Conference, San Diego, CA (July 13-16, 2016)
- Pacific Northwest Writer’s Conference, Seattle, WA (July 28-31, 2016)
- Sacramento Writing Workshop, Sacramento, CA (September 9, 2016)
- Writing Workshop of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA (September 10, 2016)
- American Night Writer’s Association Conference, Tempe, AZ (September 15-17, 2016)
- Alaska Writer’s Guild & SCBWI Annual Conference, Anchorage, AK (September 22-25, 2016)
- Writer’s Digest Annual Conference, Los Angeles, CA (October 26-28, 2016)
- Las Vegas Writing Workshop, Las Vegas, NV (November 19, 2016)
Follow Patricia on Twitter at @patricianels.