Patricia Nelson joined Marsal Lyon Literary Agency in 2014. She represents adult, young adult, and middle grade fiction, and is actively building her list.
In general, Patricia looks for stories that hook her with a unique plot, fantastic writing and complex characters that jump off the page. On the adult side, she is seeking women’s fiction both upmarket and commercial, historical fiction set in the 20th century, and compelling plot-driven literary fiction. She’s also looking for sexy, smart adult contemporary and historical single title romance. On the children’s side, Patricia is open to a wide range of genres of YA and MG, with particular interest in contemporary/realistic, magical realism, mystery, science fiction and fantasy. She is interested in seeing diverse stories and characters, including LGBTQ, in all genres that she represents.
Patricia’s clients include RITA Award-winning and USA Today bestselling romance author Sarina Bowen (Rookie Move, Berkley/Penguin); women’s fiction authors Susan Bishop Crispell (The Secret Ingredient of Wishes, St. Martin’s Press) and Loretta Nyhan (All the Good Parts, Lake Union Publishing); young adult novelists Mary McCoy (Camp So-and-So, Lerner/Carolrhoda Lab), Axie Oh (Rebel Seoul, forthcoming from Tu Books) and Catherine Alene (The Sky Between You and Me, Sourcebooks); and middle grade novelists Kristi Wientge (Karma Khullar’s Mustache, forthcoming from Simon and Schuster Children’s), Hayley Chewins (The Turnaway Girls, forthcoming from Candlewick) and Margaret Dilloway (Momotaro: Xander and the Lost Island of Monsters, Disney-Hyperion), among others.
Patricia is a member of SCBWI and RWA. She received her bachelor’s degree from the College of William and Mary in 2008, and also holds a master’s degree in English Literature from the University of Southern California and a master’s degree in Gender Studies from the University of Texas at Austin. Before joining the world of publishing, she spent four years as a university-level instructor of literature and writing.
Patricia loves to travel, and will attend the following conferences in 2017:
- California Dreamin’ RWA Conference, March 24-26 (Orange County, CA)
- BinderCon LA, April 1-2 (Los Angeles, CA)
- New England RWA Conference, April 7-8 (Boston, MA)
- Idaho Writer’s Conference, May 5-6 (Boise, ID)
- San Diego Writing Workshop, May 20 (San Diego, CA)
- Santa Barbara Writer’s Conference, June 19-20 (Santa Barbara, CA)
- Pacific Northwest Writer’s Association Conference, July 20-22 (Seattle, WA)
- Southern California Writer’s Conference, September 22-24 (Irvine, CA)
- Writer’s Digest Novel Writing Conference, October 27-29 (Los Angeles, CA)
- Atlanta Writer’s Conference, November 3-4 (Atlanta, GA)
Follow Patricia on Twitter at @patricianels.